"It was Twenty Years ago today!"
article published January, 2018, but first written in 1998
FA PREMIER LEAGUE
SATURDAY 10TH JANUARY, 1998
MANCHESTER UNITED 2(1) TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 0(0)
Referee:- Mr. P.E. Alcock
Man Utd:- Schmeichel; G. Neville, Johnsen, Pallister, Irwin; Beckham, Scholes, Giggs; Solskjaer, Cole, Sheringham
No sub used
Spurs:- Baardsen; Carr, Vega, Calderwood, Campbell, Wilson; Fox (sub Brady, 77), Clemence (sub Sinton, 54), Berti; Klinsmann, Dominguez
These comments were provided by "THFC Steff" of the
Spurs list. Note that Espen Baardsen played in place of the
injured Ian Walker, having substituted for him in the preceding
Fulham cup tie......
some opinions having just seen the game:
1) Dominguez is vastly overrated. I've seen him more than a
few times now (both live and on the telly) and whilst he looks
good on the ball his distribution/lack of basic football
intelligence belies any moments of skill he creates. He wasted much
possession for us.
2) Fox had another solid-to-decent game. significantly,
Klinsmann always looked for him, and Fox supplied our two best
crosses of the game.
3) Vega is a liability. how many more times must people see
this erratic 'defender' mess up when it counts? his positioning
is simply awful half the time. I would rather Mabbutt's lack of
pace and brains than Vega's at times farcical bursts of energy
and subsequent inability to do his paid-duties.
4) Sol looks increasingly dejected.
5) Clemence looks more assured with every game he plays:
hopefully his confidence will not erode.
6) Brady should've been on much earlier and Dominguez
should've been the one to make way. I know, I know, as many
attacking players as possible, but Dominguez was always going
nowhere (ironically when he hit the side-netting in the
first-half, a quick look up 20 yards further back and he would've
seen Klinsmann unmarked in acres of space.
7) Espen Baardsen had a great game, his only possible blemish
coming with the first goal for which (IMO) he was fouled by
Teddy. With 4 defenders on the scene, you certainly hope that
this would've been a situation we could've got out of. His save
from Cole in the first two minutes did, i am convinced, make this
more of a game than it could've been. Great handling generally,
committed to his decisions and deserves a run in the first team:
I'm still more confident of him than Walker at this point. the
second goal saw him let down by his defence (VEGA) who once again
failed to mark properly.
8) had Ginola played today, i feel certain we would've got
more goalscoring opportunities in the first-half at least.
9) I am still trying to work out if Man Utd had an off-day
10) I am starting to wonder where 'it' can come from. let's
hope the players don't think that way, as overall, today was a
step in the right direction and should prove to the team that
they can at least hold their own and should be beating some of
the sides immediately above them
The Everton result (they beat Palace 3-1) does us no favours whatsoever, but watch
teams like Newcastle, who seem to be slipping slowly into
· Read the preview for this game.
· All the Spurs Stats you could hope for here! THFC6061 Sports Stats
Top of page | Index to 1997-98 Match Reports